The student news site of Northwest High School

The JagWire

The JagWire

The JagWire

Polls

Fill in the blank! I can't eat ___________ without Old Bay

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

OPINION: Why I’m Voting Praneel for SMOB on Wednesday

And why you should, too.
Praneel Suvarna, SMOB candidate. Suvarna is a junior at Clarksburg High School.

As the 47th Student Member of the Board (SMOB) election approaches on April 17th in Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS), the entire MCPS community eagerly anticipates the outcome. The SMOB position is more than just a title; it’s a gateway for students to influence policies that directly impact their education and well-being. The SMOB is the only member of the Board of Education who is a current student in MCPS, making the elected candidate the strongest tie between student opinion and implemented policy.

Now, more than ever, issues such as school safety, school lunches, drug/opioid use, and mental health crises are affecting students in the county. This only serves to increase the importance of electing a candidate who can navigate these challenges with insight and empathy. With candidates Praneel Suvarna and Sam Ross as finalists for the position, the stakes are high, and the need for a capable and trustworthy SMOB is paramount. Both Suvarna and Ross bring valuable experience in student advocacy, but Praneel is the standout choice, offering a comprehensive and innovative approach to addressing the county’s most pressing issues.

The aspect of Praneel’s platform that has impressed me the most is his emergency protocol. Each candidate was asked the question: What would you do if you had $10 million to allocate to any part of the MCPS budget? Praneel proposed something remarkable. Instead of allocating the money to any specific subcategories, he allocated all $10 million as an emergency fund.

This decision speaks volumes about Praneel’s priorities. Instead of earmarking funds for specific categories, he recognizes the importance of proactive measures in preventing and addressing crises within MCPS. By establishing a dedicated emergency fund, Praneel aims to ensure that the school system is equipped to handle unforeseen challenges without the need for frantic budget reallocation after the fact. Praneel’s emphasis on prevention and preparedness underscores his commitment to the safety and well-being of MCPS students and staff. It reflects a forward-thinking approach that prioritizes resilience and proactive solutions over reactive measures. A student at Northwest High School, who prefers to stay anonymous, was telling me about her friend, an MCPS student who overdosed at home. She said, “Nobody understands the severity of the drug and opioid crisis until it’s in front of their eyes. I didn’t realize how important prevention was until it was my friend’s mom on the phone with me, crying and asking if I knew what he had taken. Praneel is focused on this issue, and every single person with authority in Montgomery County should be, too. I wish I didn’t know that heartbreak, and I hope that with Praneel as SMOB, nobody else has to.” 

Another aspect of Praneel’s platform that stands out is the fact that he is not waiting for the title of SMOB to begin creating change. He has demonstrated an unwavering commitment to addressing the Drug & Opioid Crisis within MCPS already. What distinguishes Praneel’s approach is not just his rhetoric, but his proven track record of taking concrete action. From spearheading the establishment of a drug and opioid task force within the Montgomery County Regional Student Government Association to fundraising over a hundred dollars to help the Tree of Hope foundation, he has already begun working to facilitate positive change. 

He maintains this same level of dedication for each of his policy focuses. For ESOL and ELL students, he developed a comprehensive newcomer student guide for Clarksburg High School. He was also the first of the two finalists to translate his posts into Spanish and Amharic. I recently had a conversation with one of my friends, Gianna Mai-Palma, who came to the United States from Spain as an eighth grader and is now a student in MCPS. Gianna said that the reason that she, as an ELL student, supports Praneel’s campaign is his willingness to listen. She sent him a text through Instagram early into the campaigning process, and he was willing to discuss and even change his policy ideas based on her input. Gianna and several of her friends, also ELL students, claimed that he listened to them in a way that even their school administration did not. Gianna told me, “It is easy to care about an issue. Both SMOB candidates know there is an issue and are committing to fixing it. But Praneel cares not only about the issue but also about how it is affecting students. To him, it matters how we feel about it, not only how he feels about it. His empathy and dedication have won my vote.”

Praneel’s dedication to his other policy pillars can be seen through similar records of action. His commitment to sustainability shines through his notable achievements, including his involvement in co-leading an electric bus proposal. Furthermore, Praneel’s past role as the Environmental Task Force Coordinator for MCR-SGA and his time at the New Jersey Institute of Nature showcases his proactive approach to addressing environmental challenges. 

After further research, I found that Praneel was an intern for the office of the Chief of Staff of the Superintendent of MCPS. Working closely with MCPS administration means that he is already familiar with the responsibilities of a member of the Board of Education. From a policy perspective, Praneel’s track record speaks volumes, showcasing tangible actions that have resulted in significant changes within the county. 

The role of SMOB extends beyond policy considerations; effective communication is equally important. In this regard, Praneel’s platform stands out yet again. Not only has he demonstrated inclusivity and engagement with students across the county from the very beginning of his campaign, he has made his content engaging. The topics the SMOB candidates focus on, which are usually full of too much jargon for the average student to fully follow, were broken down into parts that were easy to understand in the format of a reel. I usually do not watch reels all the way through, but I found myself genuinely understanding and interested in what Praneel had to say.

I researched Praneel’s role as a student in the county, too. His passion and extensive involvement in various clubs and sports spoke volumes to me about his dedication to student life. From his time as a varsity wrestler to his role as a co-founder of the Model UN club at his high school, supporting actor in school musicals (Kevin G. in Mean Girls!), MCR-SGA Vice President, member of DECA, and junior class president, Praneel brings a diverse range of experiences to the table. He has a comprehensive understanding of student interests and concerns, making him well-suited to represent the diverse student body of Montgomery County.

Praneel Suvarna’s candidacy for SMOB represents a beacon of hope and progress for our Montgomery County Public Schools community. His forward-thinking policy initiatives, unwavering dedication to students, and proactive stance on pressing issues like the Drug & Opioid Crisis make him the ideal choice for this role. With a proven track record of tangible results, inclusive communication, and deep involvement in student life, Praneel is not only the strongest candidate but also the most compassionate and dedicated advocate for every student’s voice. On Wednesday, April 17th, I am voting for Praneel to be our 47th SMOB. I hope every single one of you reading this do the same.