Sitting for the Pledge

Taylor Cross, Morning Announcements Editor

Ever since elementary school, standing for the pledge has been drilled into our heads along with reciting it. The whole class would usually stand up, hands over their hearts for about 30 seconds until it was time to sit back down. Now when it’s time to stand for the pledge students continue to scribble away at their homework, scroll through their phone, and chatter away with their friends. This has been a trend for a few years now, mainly stemming from when Kaepernick took a knee three years ago. The Jagwire asked our students how they felt about the pledge of allegiance and here are our most common responses.

Laziness

Most of our students said that they didn’t stand for the pledge because they didn’t feel like it. One student said that they didn’t feel like standing anymore since he’s done it since kindergarten. He didn’t see the point in continuing the tradition. Others like him expressed how they didn’t want to go out of their way to stand up and don’t feel that there’s that much importance in the matter anymore, expressing great indifference.

Activism

Some students feel strongly about not standing for the flag. Mayeni Kpenge, a sophomore, said, “The pledge says ‘one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.’ This country does not stand for me, so why should I stand for the pledge? Once I see change then I’ll stand.” Many other students felt the same way, feeling that America does not support them personally. Camari, a senior, agreed with Mayeni, saying, “Why would I believe in a country that goes against me.” 

Social Pressure and The Norm

Angie, a junior, says she doesn’t stand because of peer pressure. Since hardly anyone else stands for the pledge, she feels she shouldn’t as well. “I would if I could, but I’m totally fine with people who don’t,” she says. “We have the right to stand and support the country and the people who are fighting for us.” Other people don’t feel as strongly but will stand out of respect since it’s something they’ve done for so long.